Welcome to the eighth and final article in the series of articles that explains in detail the steps to add a user defined custom field to a window using Modifier, Report Writer and GP Power Tools to add the business logic.
The series should be read in order starting with the introduction article:
In this article we will put everything in the previous articles together in a video demonstration of the steps.
For the business example we are working through, we need to add an internet URL field to the Item Maintenance window which can be opened in an internet browser.
The process to do this can be broken down into 6 Steps:
- Modifying the Window; Use Modifier to add the URL field to the Item Maintenance window with a hyperlinked prompt.
- Saving the Data; The data will be stored in the DUOS (Dynamic User Object Store) SY90000 table and business logic will be added to handle saving the URL field.
- Using the Data; Make the hyperlink open the URL in a browser window.
- Creating the Report Writer Function; Use Power Tools to create a Report Writer Function to allow the data to be pulled into reports.
- Modifying the Report; Use Report Writer to add a calculated field to call the Report Writer Function.
- Publishing the Project; Change settings to make the project available to all users.
The project is completed, all you need to do is watch the following Feature Demonstration video. Enjoy.
GP Power Tools – Adding Custom Fields (direct link)
The GP Power Tools Videos page has been updated to include this video.
The exported files for this customization are available at the bottom of the previous article.
If you are not yet using GP Power Tools – Developer Tools Module, it is about time you started.
Hope you found this series useful.
This article was originally posted on http://www.winthropdc.com/blog.
One thought on “#GPPT Beginner’s Guide to Adding Custom Fields – Video Demonstration”