GP Power Tools is the industry leading suite of tools to designed to make your Microsoft Dynamics GP life simpler and easier. Features have been specifically designed and created to enhance the user experience, simplify the administrator experience and provide power debugging and customisation tools to consultants and support engineers.
This is why GP Power Tools should be installed on every workstation of every Microsoft Dynamics GP system globally.
The build includes an automatic check for updates and an updated registration system as well as a number of other fixes and enhancements.
Important Note: Please update all Winthrop Development Consultants products you have installed with the new builds at the same time. Failure to do so will cause products not updated to become unregistered. New builds for all products are now available.
Build 23 of GP Power Tools is available for the following Microsoft Dynamics GP versions:
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 (v11.0)
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 and GP 2013 R2 (v12.0)
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 and GP 2015 R2 (v14.0)
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 and GP 2016 R2 (v16.0)
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 (v18.0)
The section below explains the updated registration system and automatic update check and how they work:
Updated Registration System
The registration system has been updated so that it is no longer using the Mekorma Product Manager dictionary and instead communicates directly with the Mekorma registration server.
This change has been made to avoid the versioning issues seen by some customers when they have both Winthrop and Mekorma products installed.
All functionality within the product and processes for purchasing the product remain the same.
Automatic Update Check
The other new feature in this build is the ability to check online for updates when an Administrator user logs in. The frequency of the checks can be set when the system is first enabled. You can manually check for updates or change the frequency from the About GP Power Tools window by selecting Options >> Check for Updates.
There have been many fixes and enhancements since the release of build 22 in February 2017, some of these have been released as hotfixes already. Below is a list of the highlights:
- Updated ScreenShot System Status report to only provide information for System and current Company databases by default, with an option to enable providing information for all databases. This can significantly improve performance on systems with a large number of companies. Requested by Ian Grieve MVP.
Administrator Tools Module:
- Updated the Resource Explorer to use memory tables instead of temporary tables so that they remain populated for duration of current instance of Dynamics GP. This improves performance after the initial reading of the dictionary resources.
- Added Display Parameters feature to Resource Information window when in Procedures and Functions mode. This can provide the current parameter lists for almost all procedures and functions in any installed dictionary. This is extremely useful when the Software Development Kit (SDK) is not being maintained.
- Added additional Bright Themes and new Light Themes to Company Color Schemes in Administrator Settings window. This brings the total built in themes for Company Color Schemes to 110 themes.
- Updated Company Color Themes to use User Display Preference settings for Link Fields and Required Fields. However the User Display Preference color settings will be overridden when needed, for inverted themes.
- Added code to automatically create and maintain a SUPERUSER Security Task and SUPERUSER Security Role to use instead of POWERUSER. This is based on a concept suggested by Mark Polino MVP.
Developer Tools Module:
- Added Script Explorer with Parameters option to build complete call for functions or procedures including parameters lists for Dexterity (Trigger Setup & Runtime Execute Setup) and Visual C# & Visual Basic .Net (.Net Execute Setup).
- Added Register Button to Trigger Status window to allow Automatic Trigger Mode to be started without needing to open the GP Power Tools Logging Control window. This means a single window to can be used to Register and Unregister Triggers.
- On the Trigger Status window, if all logging triggers are unregistered, a dialog will ask if GP Power Tools should swap to logging only mode or stop logging entirely.
- Added ability to execute only the selected portion of a script to the SQL Execute Setup window and Runtime Execute Setup window. If a section is highlighted, a dialog will prompt to execute the selected portion or the entire script.
- Added Goto Line feature to Script menu on Trigger Setup, Runtime Execute Setup, SQL Execute Setup and .Net Execute Setup windows.
- Added support for Transact-SQL GO statement to SQL Execute window to allow multiple sets of statements to be executed. Only the final section of code is displayed in the results pane. A perfect use for this feature is dropping and creating views and then granting access in each company in the system with a single click.
- Added Vertical Splitter Adjustment buttons to adjust the ratio of script pane to results pane in the SQL Execute Setup and .Net Execute Setup windows.
Database Tools Module:
- Fixed Database Validation to recreate Database Users with incorrect Security IDs (SIDs) for other non Dynamics GP databases. This will ensure additional related databases which are not actual company database still work, such as auditing databases.
- Fixed Database Validation to allow fixing of access issues while users are logged into the system. Access problems can now be fixed without requiring all users to log out.
For a detailed change log, look at the GPPTools.txt file installed with GP Power Tools into the Microsoft Dynamics GP application folder.
For more information and download links, please see the GP Power Tools Portal page:
Please post comments and feedback.
04-Dec-2017: Added Version for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018.
This article was originally posted on http://www.winthropdc.com/blog.