“Why should I pay to upgrade to GP Power Tools when the Support Debugging Tool is free?”
GP Power Tools will be available for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010, GP 2013 and GP 2015. This article provides some insight into the enhancements and new features you will get when you upgrade from the Support Debugging Tool to GP Power Tools.
So to start with, here are twenty-one benefits of GP Power Tools:
- Continuity: GP Power Tools is supported and being improved & enhanced. Also it is available for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 and will be available for future versions.
- Familiarity: GP Power Tools provides all the features you know and love in the Support Debugging Tool.
- Performance: GP Power Tools is faster because it uses SQL tables rather than the Debugger.xml setup file to store data.
- Security: GP Power Tools is more secure because it uses SQL tables rather than the Debugger.xml setup file to store data.
- Simplicity: GP Power Tools is simpler to setup as you no longer need a shared Debugger.xml setup file. The shared folder is still useful for storing logs.
- More Simplicity: Advanced Mode Dex.ini setting to hide Advanced Mode features has been removed. Feature visibility is only controlled by a user’s application security settings.
- Navigation: GP Power Tools has easier to use multi-level menus from the main window.
- More Navigation: GP Power Tools now has an area page as well as sub menus on the application menus.
- Resource Information: Now includes a Script Explorer for identifying global & form level procedures & functions.
- Runtime Execute: Can now execute scripts against modified windows and modifier added fields.
- .Net Execute*: You can now write scripts in Visual C# and Visual Basic.Net and execute them without needing Visual Studio.
- Mix ‘n’ Match Scripting*: Using Helper Functions you can write scripts using any combination of Dexterity, T-SQL, Visual C# and Visual Basic.Net at the same time.
- Runtime Executer*: Allows users read only access to execute published Dexterity Scripts.
- SQL Executer*: Allows users read only access to execute published SQL Scripts.
- .Net Executer*: Allows users read only access to execute published .Net Scripts.
- Administrator Password Setup*: You can now have a separate Administrator password for GP Power Tools Advanced Features instead of the System Password.
- Setup Backup and Restore*: Export and import all GP Power Tools settings to and from a Debugger.xml file.
- Security Log*: Review data captured by the Security Activity Tracking and create Security Tasks and Security Roles from the data.
- Database Validation*: Validate that your GP users and companies match your SQL Logins, Users and Databases. Validate that all tables exist in your system and confirm that the tables that do exist have the correct data structure. Ensure smooth upgrades by avoiding potential problems before they occur.
- Service Procedures*: Create user defined custom Service Procedures that can be called as Web Services (GP 2015 or later) or from Visual Studio or Dexterity.
- Usability enhancements*: Exit After Processes menu option, Full width fields on the Company Login window and more.
* = New window or feature.
I have invested as massive amount of time into making GP Power Tools a reality. As the development effort is no longer subsidized by Microsoft, it is necessary to ask a token amount to cover the costs of future development.
For the amount of time GP Power Tools will save you, and for a dollar a day there is no reason not to upgrade.
Why not install the free Public Beta and see for yourself?
PS: More information on the new features coming soon.
This article was originally posted on http://www.winthropdc.com/blog.